Themes of Life
(17% of focus)
- Describe the characteristics of life shared by all prokaryotic & eukaryotic organisms
- Compare cellular stuctures & their functions in prokaryotic & eukaryotic cells
- Desribe & interpret relationships between structure & function at various levels of biological organization (i.e. organelles, cells, tissues, organs, organ systems and multicellular organisms)'
- Describe the unique properties of water and how these properties support life on Earth (freezing point, high specific heat, cohesion)
- Distinguish between the scientific terms: hypothesis, inference, law, theory, principle, fact, observation
- Explain how organisms maintain homeostasis (e.g. thermoregulation, water regulation, oxygen regulation)